Sixth Marine Division Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2016 8:44 am  #1

Welcome to the Forum

Welcome to the new Sixth Marine Division Forum!  Please feel free to leave a comment or question about any topic related to the Sixth Marine Division, the Marine Corps or World War II.  Members of the Sixth Marine Division Association - as well as other readers of this Forum - will be happy to help you if they can. 

8/29/2016 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Welcome to the Forum

I am looking for any Marines who knew Robert(Bob)Sproul--served '42-45 in the 6th Engineer Bn.--LtCol O.C. Bjornsrud Commanding, LtCol H.A. Schmitz also listed as Commander.
Some of the names of other Marines in his unit are Harry Staufer(spelling)Adrian Mich.
Paul Wilson, Philadelphia PA, Porter R. Scroggs, Sylva, NC, Raymond J Farley, New York City.  These names are from a Thanksgiving Day Menu, Tsingtao, China, Nov. 1945--Many more of the guys signed and I will mention more names in next post.    Thanks for any info available.

6/14/2017 7:53 pm  #3

Hello, trying to find out more about what my Pop did in the Marines. Was confused a while back when my father gave me some stuff that had his old duffle. I always thought he was in the 5th Marine Division. The photo we have has him with the Fifth, but his duffle says 6th Co, 2nd Bn, 4th regiment, 6th Division. Didn't know if any of you folks could help me out.

6/30/2017 10:40 pm  #4

amartin73--If that duffle has 6th Division(or 6th MarDiv, or 6thMarineDivision)stenciled or markered on it then your Dad was probably 6th Marine Division.  This is the Division that was formed especially to  make the Okinawa invasion.  He may have been part of that last major invasion on Okinawa.  We did have a Fifth Marine Division--Their combat glory came from landing on Iwo Jima in 1945.  Many units and returned to duty wounded Marines were later assigned to the 6th Division(the Striking Sixth) to get this new 6th Division up to capacity to make the Okinawa landing, almost as bad as Iwo Jima.  Even more casualties at Okinawa.  Any of your father's mementoes are so precious.  That duffle bag carried everything he owned to each duty station, mostly in the field.  Everything he owned was in that duffle.  He probably carried it aboard several ships and if he did some landings that duffle would be brought ashore later, hopefully...The Marines have a peculiar way of identifying units.  Your father was probably in 2/4--2nd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment--I need to check whether that Regiment was part of the 5th or 6th Marine Divisions.   amartin, you may know all of this and I apologize for trying to say too much, here.
These stories of our WWII Marines are so special and each unique.  Garent Gunther, USMC 68-70

Board footera