Sixth Marine Division Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/14/2016 5:20 pm  #1

HQ Company 2nd Battalion 6th Division

My Dad was with the HQ Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Division and fought on Okinawa. I'm trying to get some information on the HQ company's activities on the island and his whereabouts when he was wounded on June 18, 1945. I've already gotten his records from St Louis. Can anyone help me? 

2/16/2017 6:49 pm  #2

Re: HQ Company 2nd Battalion 6th Division

Do you know which regiment he was with? 

2/17/2017 8:45 am  #3

He was with the 22nd Marines on Okinawa.

7/20/2017 8:08 pm  #4

John,
My apologies for the lateness of this reply (I didn't get a notification). My grandfather was also in 2nd Battalion, 22nd Marines. He was in Fox company.

On June 18, 2nd battalion (along with 1st battalion) led the assault on Kuwanga Ridge, near the very southern tip of Okinawa. This was only days before the island would be declared "secure" (although of course there were plenty of armed Japanese still around!).

The assault started at 0800, with tank support. By noon the top of the ridge was captured, but according to the 6th Division history, "the battle swirled all along the length of the dust-covered slopes throughout the day. The cost in casualties was high..." (p. 169)This was when the 22nd's CO, Col. Roberts, was killed by a sniper.  So I guess your dad was wounded sometime during this fighting. As the 2nd was leading the assault, I would imagine that your dad was close behind the lead companies in the assault. Even if he was not directly in the assault, any place near the fighting was dangerous with the cave system defenses on Okinawa. And much of this fighting occurred in fairly close proximity. 

I'm not expert, but I would imagine that as part of HQ company, anywhere the 2nd battalion was, so was your dad. I would recommend the official division history ("History of the Six Marine Division") which was published in 1948. Your dad might have received a copy. Otherwise, you can find reprints online. Also, there's a good book that the Marine Corps published in 1955 called "Okinawa: Victory in the Pacific", which has good maps and history. If you know when your dad landed on Okinawa, it might help track his movements. 

I hope this was helpful. If you want to continue this conversation or have other questions, feel free to shoot me a private message. I'll have to dig up my grandpa's letter where he writes about Kuwanga Ridge. 

Best,
-Eli

Board footera